Monday, June 19, 2017

Follow Up to Platte River Camping

Holy moths Bat Man.  

When we went to bed last night we had no idea what was going to happen while we were asleep.  Thousands of moths swarmed around the rv, on the rv and in the rv.  I don't know how they got   into the rv but it has been a nightmare.  

This morning when we saw the moths on the outside of the rv the first place we went to after leaving the river was a car and truck wash.  Even after driving 65 miles per hour on the freeway there were about 2,000 moths still on the rv, in every nook and crevice, on the outside, around the doors, around the cracks of the hood, between the roof of the truck and the bottom of the part of the rv that hangs over the cab.  All around the doors, behind the rearview mirrors, under our awnings, and as we're finding out tonight, in the air conditioner.  We are 4 hours away from the river and as it is getting dark hundreds of moths are begging to fly around inside the rv.  The cats are having a field day, but as it turns out I'm faster at getting them.  I have closed the air conditioner vents and that has slowed them down a bit but they are still coming.  Ugggg

Just a picture of a moth from the internet, not what we have flying all around.

This whole episode of the moths reminds me of the time in 1986 when mom and I and my daughter, who was 6 at the time, took our family's truck and camper to northern California camping for the weekend.  We went to Lake Mendocino, and it was really hot.  When we pulled into our camping site I failed to raise the windows in the truck.  All night long mom and I sat up killing mosquitoes.  We couldn't figure out how they were getting in and I wasn't going to let them bite my darling daughter.  By morning we were exhausted and that's when we saw the open windows.  


Another picture from the internet.


Well I can assure you that last night all screens were closed tight and truck windows close, that's how we keep the cats in, of course.  I think tomorrow we might pull into an rv park and plug into electricity and turn the air conditioner on and try to blow those darn moths out.

Some moths are very pretty.  The ones we have are just brown.

I hope we can sleep tonight.  

Evie and Joy and our two good hunters, Bubba and Missy











No comments:

Post a Comment