Friday, March 16, 2018

A New Family Member

For the last two months I've been thinking about and researching new tow cars.  Our Honda still has a lot of life left in her but the seats were hurting our backs so I started looking at what cars were towable with all 4 wheels down and had the potential to be more comfortable.  I stopped by Just For Towing, in Yuma and talked to the owner, Melinda, and she gave me some suggestions on other small to midsize suv's that are good tow cars, here's the short list she gave me: Chevy's Equinox and the Traverse, GMC Terrain and Acadia, and the Buick Enclave or Ford Edge.  After looking at all those cars and comparing their cargo space and shape and weight  I decided to stay with Honda.  Yes all those cars are wonderful and have lots of space and comfort but you pay the price in tow weight. For instance, I loved the 2012 Buick Enclave but it weighs between 4,780 to 4,980 depending on what options you get, a 2012 Honda EXL, with all the bells and whistles, weighs 3,529. That's quite a difference and I liked my old CR-V.  So a newer Honda CR-V was on my radar.  I was looking all across southern California and Arizona and found a 2012 in the Phoenix area.  

Our new 2012 Honda CR-V EXL.  Sadly there is no place to put 
our roof top tote so we will just carry less stuff.

What to do with the old 2003 Honda?  Sell it to a friend of mine in southern California, that's what.  So we towed the red Honda to my friends house and drove back to Phoenix with nothing behind me.  Let me tell you, the motorhome goes way faster with a tailwind and without towing a car.  Coming home we spent the night outside Joshua Tree park.  A really easy place to boondock for the night right off interstate 10.  And you just never know what you'll find.

Look, it's an arrow sticking out of that rock.

I wonder why

It's a National Geodetic Survey marker. 
 To read about this marker click here and here.

Kittens getting some outside time after a long day of driving.

Look, no tow car.

One happy friend.

Now that's taken care of we'll head back to Yuma for a few weeks before starting our eastward journey to New Mexico for the summer.


Evie and Joy

Pic from my boondocking spot, looking west.
See my neighbors, not to close, just the way we like it.



















2 comments:

  1. i like your car. I bought a 2015 Forest River Sunseeker 2250S last October but have been unable to go anywhere so far...family matters. I downsized from a 34’ + toad. I’m just tired of hooking up then trying to wiggle my way into gas stations when
    inconsiderate folks in small cars jump in front of me. This way, I can just drive up to the pump or go wherever I want, park,and my
    kitties are right there with me. I’m glad you and your mom are traveling together. I know you’re both enjoying sharing the many
    sights in our beautiful country. Take care...safe travels...and chin scratches to the fur babies.
    park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, I know what you mean about small cars cutting in front of you at the gas pump. Hope you many years of fun times in you new rv. Safe travels to you too. ;)

      Delete